Saturday, August 4, 2012

Day 10: Leaving Oz

Although I've reached the end of the two week intensive back camp, it is really only the beginning.

Earlier in the week someone likened this place to the fictional land of Oz. I, of course, am Dorothy; the other patients in this program are the scarecrow, the tinman, the lion, and Todo, all on our own journey but temporarily together; the wonderful assistants Amy and Michelle share the role of Glenda helping us along the way; finally, Doctor Dovornay is the Wizard of Oz. The man with the seemingly mythical solution of chiropractics for a problem I've faced for so long. We trusted him almost blindly, with only references as support, in his methods that were contradicted by my accomplished medical doctor and orthotist. And still we are trusting his hypotheses as I go home and do exercises the Wizard has prescribed for the next several months.

I took two more x-rays the last day, one in my second cantilever, one as my final out of it. My final was still mid-thirties, showing a stability over the past two weeks. The x-ray in the second cantilever was at 28, so mid-thirties might be the lowest my curve ever gets. This second cantilever was the higher one made last-minute for me on Wednesday, but the x-ray showed that the doctor knew what he was doing in his adjustments. The new cantilever not only pushes to straighten my spine but also rotates the vertebrae back in place by straightening the multifidus muscle, correcting a core problem of scoliosis. The Wizard got it right.

As I leave Oz and go home I'm still on a journey, I have to do exercises on the cantilever 3-5 times a day. In 3 months we will send new x-rays back to the doctor and he will make a new plan for the next few months. There really is no place like home, but my time in Oz will stay with me forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment