Monday, October 28, 2013

Definition

With senior year and college applications recently on my mind, I have begun to reflect on my past seventeen years and the experiences that have defined my life. Sports have made a huge impact on me, and living in England was really important, but as I have been thinking, I've realized that scoliosis has probably had the most definitive impact on me. 

After being diagnosed so young, I matured quickly. When other kids would make fun of kids for being different, I empathized with them and knew that being different is okay, it's what makes people special. When other kids played outside, I did my exercises. I learned that I had to earn my playtime by dutifully wearing my brace for 23 hours a day and doing all of my exercises. 

As I grew up, I carried these responsibilities with me. I now feel loyal to those who are "different" and have a duty to help and fight for those who can't defend themselves. I also know that I have to work hard for everything, and that the harder I work the more I can overcome. 

For over half of my seventeen years I've lived, struggled, and triumphed with scoliosis. Without a doubt, it has made me who I am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment