Tuesday, November 27, 2012

90 Day Update

Somehow ninety days have passed since my time at the CLEAR Institute, and I have finished my first round of physical therapy.  Doing cantilevers three to five times a day was difficult, but somehow I managed to get at least three in all but two of the days. On the weekends I did four, but only twice did I find time for five.  Regardless, my hard work payed off, and my most recent xray shows my curve to be down to forty degrees.

I had the xray done at a local out patient center (although they can be done at a chiropractor, doctor's office, hospital, or even the CLEAR Institute itself). We got the films burned onto a disk and sent them to the CLEAR Institute for measurements.

My upper thoracic curve went from 52 to 40 degrees and all the rotated vertebrae were straightened out.  I am back on my center of gravity, and I stand straighter than ever before.

I am slowly easing off the cantilever and now only do one or two exercises a day. I have my annual check up ninety days from now with my doctors at Children's Hospital, where I will get another xray. Hopefully my improvements will maintain and I can be done by summer!

7 comments:

  1. Your story is inspiring so thank you. I am here with the Wizard as you call him for my 12 yr old daughters treatment. She was diagnosed recently and I in my panic state was blessed to have found Dr D. We just started her treatment. Did you plan on going back again for a week to get your curve down possibly more and continue your treatment.
    It's wonderful that your posting this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My family and I were just talking about that yesterday. My grandparent's live in Green Bay so it would be pretty easy to do another week over summer break, but at the same time I feel straighter than ever and to me it's not really the number that matters. Best of luck to you all, it's definitely worth it!

      Delete
    2. Jenny, Thank you for the response..please keep posting. Very inspirational to the kids and of course from someone that is happy always good to see that it is permenant..still a big question for many being it is so new.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jenny: Congrats on your success! My wife and I were with our 14 year old twin girls the same week you were at the boot camp at Dr. D's. Your success is very inspiring to all of us! I just wrote your Mom an e-mail wondering how your exercises were going and it sounds like they are sure paying off. Caitlin and Kieran still have a way to go on their curve and they need some inspiration:) Stay strong and all our best... Sean & Janis O'Carroll

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Just tell your girls that putting in the work now will be more than worth it in the long run. They don't want to be old like me and still dealing with their scoliosis :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Jenny..this is the Mom that made the first comment with the 12 year old daughter. How are you doing now..how much longer do you think you will be doing the exercises being that it is not the numbers that you go by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jenny, I just to a look at your blog to see how things were going. Again this is the Mom from the first post above that was in Wisconsin recently with the 12 year old daughter. My name is Vanessa. You are an inspiration. You have more dedication then most not only kids your age or I should say young ladies but many adults also..don't quit, get to the best you can be to make sure this is never a pain in the future. My daugter is doind well but it is a challenge for her. Her goal is to get 4 20 minute sessions in everyday and sometimes she only makes it to 3 (maybe 2x per week) and then of course I worry. She has no activities now and was bummed for quite awhile that she is not allowed to do any backbends, back walkovers, etc but I think she is o.k. with it now. I can only hope she'll find a new love other then competitive Cheer. I think we are going back sometime in March. Please post whenever you have time and let us know how you are doing..:)















































































































































































































































    ReplyDelete