Thursday, July 26, 2012

Day 3: The New Normal

The days are becoming long and monotonous, I now do the same exercises at the same times and weights three times a day. I've become accustomed to the pulls and constraints, and now I primarily nap through each of the stations. This has quickly become my new normal.

I struggled for a long time with the idea that my normal is different than everyone else's. By default, wouldn't that mean that I am abnormal? My body is different than all of my friends': my hips are uneven, my shoulders aren't straight, I have visible scar tissue from three years of bracing, and my back is "deformed." But all of those things are what make me, me. For half of my life this has been my normal.  And even though scoliosis may separate me from my immediate peer group, there are thousands of men, women, boys, and girls across the whole world that share my definition of normal.

In large part, that is why I'm writing this blog.  To share my thoughts, fears, and experiences to let others with scoliosis know that there are people going through the exact same thing.  There's definitely a comfort in knowing that you are not alone in whatever you go through. I have been blessed with an amazing and supportive group of family and friends; I have been blessed with the opportunities that I have been given. Now I want to share, and be a blessing to somebody else. Because in actuality, my normal may not be so very different from yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment